Claims Hearts players assaulted ‘not proven’ – O’NeillImage source, SNSImage caption, Hearts’ Lawrence Shankland with stewards at full time after Celtic beat Hearts to win the Scottish Premiership titlePublished20 May 2026Updated 53 minutes agoCeltic manager Martin O’Neill says allegations Hearts players were assaulted amid Saturday’s pitch invasion “has not been proved”.Shareholder Tony Bloom claimed on Wednesday that Hearts players were assaulted by Celtic fans as they ran on the pitch to celebrate clinching the Scottish Premiership title.Police Scotland are investigating whether there was any criminality involved, and O’Neill says if proof emerges then “apologies are due”.”We have gone back in the pictures and there’s no sign of that at this minute,” the interim Celtic manager told BBC Scotland. “If he [Bloom] has seen that there or the police have seen that, then certainly apologies are due but that is not being seen at his minute.”Hearts previously criticised what they called “highly irresponsible” comments from O’Neill, when the Northern Irishman dismissed claims the incident embarrassed Scottish football.
Hearts players were confronted by some fans after Callum Osmand scored to make it 3-1 in the 98th minute.
Celtic apologised to their opponents earlier this week after they were forced to make a quick exit from the stadium while still in their kit.
“We are aware of highly irresponsible comments made publicly this week, which appear to seek to defend those who entered the pitch on Saturday and undermine the gravity of the situation,” Hearts mentioned in a statement on Wednesday., external
“Those remarks carry dangerous implications, and we call upon the football authorities to ensure that this matter is addressed with the seriousness it demands, and with the full cooperation of all involved.”

