‘Emotional’ Mourinho should apologise – McCarthyMedia caption, Real Madrid’s Vini Jr reports alleged racist abuse from Benfica’s PrestianniPublished1 hour agoFormer South Africa striker Benni McCarthy says Jose Mourinho should apologise for his “very wrong” comments after the alleged racial abuse of Real Madrid winger Vinicius Jr. The Brazil forward scored the only goal in Real Madrid’s 1-0 Champions League win against Benfica on Tuesday.Vinicius was booked for his goal celebration and the match was halted for 10 minutes shortly afterwards when the Brazilian revealed alleged racist abuse from winger Gianluca Prestianni. Uefa have since opened an investigation into the claims, which Prestianni denies. Speaking after the match, Benfica boss Mourinho – who was sent off late in the game for arguing with the referee – reported Vinicius had been “disrespectful” with his goal celebration and pointed to the club’s legendary striker Eusebio as proof that Benfica is not a racist club.But McCarthy, who won the Champions League under Mourinho at Porto in 2004, says the Portuguese made a “mistake” with his comments. “The situation, he could have handled it better or chosen his words better but emotions got the best of him,” McCarthy told BBC World Service presenter Isaac Fanin. “I know the statement he made was very wrong. But we’re all human, we all make mistakes.”When it comes from somebody I know personally and I know how he feels about our continent and our people and the players that play for him, he’s the most stand-up guy that any African player will ever play for.”I think it was an emotional decision, tough, where he maybe made a call and it wasn’t the right call which he will later, hopefully come out and say that he made a mistake because that’s what I would like to think, that’s the kind of man he is.”Vinicius, who has been a victim of numerous incidents of racist abuse during his playing career, later reported in a post on Instagram: “Racists are, above all, cowards.”
Benfica have defended Prestianni and claim there is a “defamation campaign” against the Argentine.
Prestianni, who could face a minimum 10-match ban from European competition if found guilty, denied directing racial abuse at Vinicius.