• Live reaction: Mourinho & Benfica criticised over reaction to alleged abuse

What did Mourinho say?

Benfica manager Jose Mourinho was seen speaking with Vinicius after the player took the decision to walk off the pitch following the interaction with Prestianni.

The Portuguese stated in his post-match interview that he was told different things by Vinicius and Prestianni regarding the incident.

In addition to expressing his belief that Vinicius had been disrespectful with his goal celebration, he pointed to the club’s legendary striker Eusebio as proof that Benfica is not a racist club.

Asked if he felt Vinicius incited the crowd, Mourinho stated: “Yes. I believe so. It should be the crazy moment of the game, an amazing goal.

“Unfortunately [he was] not just happy to score that astonishing goal. When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way.”

He added: “I told [Vinicius], when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. When he was arguing about racism, I told him the biggest person in the history of this club [Eusebio] was black.

“This club, the last thing that it is, is racist. If in his mind there was something in relation to that, this is Benfica.

“[Vinicius and Prestianni] told me different things. But I don’t believe in one or another. I want to be an independent.”

‘Disgrace to football’ – the reaction

Real defender Trent Alexander-Arnold stated the alleged abuse of his team-mate was a “disgrace to football”.

“What has happened is a disgrace to football and overshadowed the performance, as well as an amazing goal,” stated Alexander-Arnold.

“Vini has been subject to this a few times throughout his career. To ruin a night like this for our team is a disgrace.

“There is no place for it in football or society. It is disgusting.”

Former Real Madrid midfielder Clarence Seedorf, working as a pundit for Amazon Prime, stated Mourinho “made a big mistake to justify racial abuse”.

“I think he is still emotional,” stated the Dutchman.

“He’s saying it’s OK, when Vinicius provokes you, to be racist – and I think that is very wrong.

“We should never, ever justify racial abuse. Vinicius has had enough of that unjustified behaviour from people. I know Mourinho by heart would agree with me but he expressed himself a bit unfortunately.”

Former England and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott, who was working alongside Seedorf, also condemned Mourinho’s comments.

“I am quite calm and composed and I am not someone who gets angry often,” stated Walcott.

“I love everything Jose Mourinho has done in football but he has made a poor decision. It was maybe the one time we shouldn’t have heard from him, the one night he should not have been in front of the cameras.”

Former Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry, speaking on CBS, reflected on his own experiences of racist abuse during his playing career.

“I can relate to what Vinicius Junior is going through. That happened to me so many times on the field. At times you feel lonely because it’s going to be your word against his word, because we don’t know what he has stated,” Henry stated.

“He put his shirt over his mouth. Clearly, already, he looks suspicious because he didn’t want people to see what he stated.

“Let’s see how big of a man Prestianni is – tell us what you stated.”

Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior speaks with Benfica manager Jose MourinhoImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Vinicius’ goal gave Real Madrid a 1-0 victory in the first leg of their Champions League knockout phase play-off tie

What happens next?

Uefa, which organises the Champions League, launched an investigation into Vinicius’ claims on Wednesday.

“A Uefa Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour,” it stated in a statement.

“Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course.”

If Prestianni was to be charged and consequently found guilty of using racist language, he would face a minimum 10-match ban from European competition.

This mandatory punishment was introduced in 2013 by Gianni Infantino when he was Uefa general secretary.

It was applied in British football in 2021 after a Europa League game between Slavia Prague and Rangers.

Ondrej Kudela, a centre-back for the Czech club, was found guilty of racially abusing Glen Kamara and received a 10-match suspension.

Vinicius’ team-mate Kylian Mbappe called for Argentina winger Prestianni to no longer be allowed to play in the Champions League following the alleged incident.

“Nothing like this has ever happened to me, and in these kinds of important matters, it’s important to speak very clearly and not to speak in generalities,” France forward Mbappe stated.

“I have the utmost respect for Benfica and their coach, who is one of the best in history and who made history with Real Madrid. But, in my opinion, this player doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League any more.

“We cannot accept that a player who plays in Europe’s top competition behaves like this.

“Let’s leave it to Uefa, who always try to do something. Now they have a serious case, and I hope they do something.”

Gianluca Prestianni speaks to Vinicius Junior while covering his face with his shirtImage source, Getty Images
Image caption,

Vinicius alerted referee Francois Letexier to alleged racist abuse by Gianluca Prestianni early in the second half

Related topics

  • Real Madrid
  • UEFA Champions League
  • Football

More on this story

  • Real Madrid tie halted over Vinicius racism allegation
    • Published
      17 hours ago
    Vinicius Jr
  • Vinicius’ brilliant winner beats Benfica in game halted for alleged racism
    Vinicius Junior with his hands in his air

✔ today silver rate

✔ 2026 winter olympics

✔ chat gtp

✔ silver rate today

✔ silver rate today live

✔ 2030 winter olympics

Read More

Sports

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *